Build A Company Culture of Winning
In sales, the main objective is to WIN the deal. In our experience working with many great sales teams, we’ve found one overarching commonality: If you want to win, you must always know where you are in your organization’s sales process and the next steps necessary to effectively close the deal.
The concept of a sales process is not new. It’s been around for a long time for a reason – it works. A sales process works for direct sales, inside sales, channel sales or internet sales. It works whether your sales price is $10 or $500,000. We guarantee that if you really look at your sales success, it’s been based on a series of steps that you replicate from deal to deal.
So, what makes up a winning sales process?
- Clearly defined steps
- Goals for each step, such as:
- Key activities and milestones
- Key actions to be completed
- Sales tools
- CRM integration
Some of the biggest mistakes we see that individuals or organizations make if they do already have a sales process in place include:
- Skipping steps, or key activities within a step. You lose deals by doing this!
- Forcing a canned sales process or methodology onto the sales team that isn’t tailored to the organization’s short-term and long-term goals
- A lack of training for sales professionals on the steps, activities, and tools in their sales process
Understanding your customer (WHO you sell to) and understanding your solution (WHAT you sell) is a clear competitive factor. By institutionalizing a customized, defined sales process (HOW you sell), you can streamline your sales force and reduce costs, increase win rates and watch your organization efficiently scale and grow.
Louis Partenza is a sales consultant and partner of Activate Group Inc, based in Miami, Florida. His firm works with companies to deliver transformational sales and business coaching to their executive leadership. To learn more about business leadership coaching through AGI, please contact Lou at (305) 722-7213 or email him.