Make a Decision to Grow
Do you want to grow your business/yourself and survive in the attempt? Do you think you have what it takes to move to the next level? If your answer to the previous questions is in the affirmative you are in a good starting position for your journey to success.
In my last article “The Power of Empowering People,” I highlighted the importance of motivation in the process of reaching extraordinary results. Self-motivation is the fuel of our internal engine. Motivation is the reason why we engage ourselves and we commit to a specific behavior.
With the right motivation you can achieve everything you have ever wanted to have, experience, or become. The power has and always will be within you, but nothing will happen until you get and stay motivated to make something happen, to change your life and achieve your desires. After all, there’s nobody but you looking over your shoulder and urging you to complete your tasks.
So how do you maintain a level of self-motivation that will help you achieve the goals you want? Here are my top 5 self motivation tips:
- Set your goals and write them down. To become motivated, you need to know what you’re aiming to achieve. So plan short, medium and long term goals. The goals you choose need to be realistic and achievable since setting goals too high is demotivating.
Write your goals down and place them in a spot where they’re clearly visible. Remember to revisit them as often as possible and share them with someone’s else. Verbalizing and visualizing your goals makes them feel real.
“Man is a goal seeking animal. His life only has meaning if he is reaching out and striving for his goals.” – Aristotle.
- Do what you love to do. Find your true passion. If you love what you do, you are maximizing the probabilities of doing a great job. Even if you or your business is having a difficult moment, your passion will bring new ideas to the table and those around you will share your energy.
“Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things” – Denis Diderot, French author, encyclopedist, & philosopher.
- Stop procrastinating . Procrastination kills self motivation. Every day is different so set up a daily schedule. The aim is to prioritize your tasks, giving the highest priority to those activities that will make you money.
Don’t allow yourself to become overwhelmed with the number of things you have to do. The answer is to complete each task before moving on to the next one. Procrastination can leave you feeling frustrated, never having achieved anything. Upon completing each task reward yourself for your achievements.
“Procrastination is opportunity’s assassin” – Victor Kiam, entrepreneur.
- Innovate, be creative. According to Steve Job’s, founder of Apple Computers, innovation distinguishes a leader from a follower. Steve recommends concentrating on really important creations and radical innovations. Hire people who want to make the best things in the world. You need a very product-oriented culture, even in a technology company. Lots of companies have tons of great engineers and smart people. But ultimately, there needs to be some gravitational force that pulls it all together.
“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” -Ralph Waldo Emerson.
- Have Fun! Try not to take yourself too seriously. Enjoying yourself while you work and maintaining enthusiasm and motivation helps you keep your stress levels under control.
“Work is either fun or drudgery. It depends on your attitude. I like fun.” – Colleen C. Barrett