We speak with many companies that have experienced significant growth in a short amount of time, and frequently these companies suffer from organization mismatch. Basically, that means they have the wrong people with the wrong skill sets in the wrong positions. We also find many situations where some people are holding too many positions and doing none of them particularly well.
Organizational mismatch resulted from one (or all) of the following reasons:
- Growth. When a company experienced rapid growth it scrambled to fill necessary roles and ended up filling them with the first available candidates, or with internal candidates who “know the business.” Essentially, it grew so fast it had to “plug holes” with people instead of hiring the right people for the right roles.
- Over Confidence. In the midst of growth, leaders believed the team would simply “pull it together and make it happen” no matter what. The company shifted people around or asked people to pull double duty because it seemed like the easiest solution.
- Comfort. Leaders mistakenly thought they could shuffle top performers from one position into another because their performer’s past success in one position equals proficiency in another, right? Wrong.
Building a strong organization that is efficient, and therefore profitable, requires the “A” players in the right roles. Believe it or not, this all starts with a strong strategy and well-defined goals. Without a solid strategy, the company has no clear path and no mile markers to follow to the top of the mountain.
At AGI, every organizational consulting project begins with strategy and the effective exercise of creating Strategy Maps. Creating strategy maps help the organization visualize where it is today and where it needs to go to achieve those all-important goals.
Strategy Maps help:
- Align all positions to support the company strategy
- Define key performance indicators
- Identify needed skill sets for key positions
- Hire the right people for those key positions
- Build an effective structure
- Define success metrics
The AGI organization consulting process also teaches how to align those metrics and communicate them so everyone in the organization understands.
Our process and consulting activities usually include:
- Facilitating meetings
- Developing strategy maps
- Building position profiles for all areas
- Defining roles
- Assigning processes
AGI can help the total organization realize better success through powerful strategy and alignment. We can act as a full-service extension of your executive team, or can simply oversee and coach your leaders through it.